Keyssa Turns the Tablet into a Full-Performance PC
Acer Aspire Switch 12 S makes design history
Campbell, Calif. – April 20, 2016 – Keyssa, a leader in high-speed, contactless connectivity, today announced that the new Acer Aspire Switch 12 S has made history as the first truly hybrid 2-in-1 tablet/laptop with the full performance capabilities of a PC. By using Keyssa’s Kiss Connectivity to transfer data between the dock and 4K tablet, Acer has succeeded in creating its thinnest hybrid ever. Moreover, the Aspire Switch 12 S is the first tablet that performs with the I/O speed of a PC without sacrificing the beauty and elegance of an ultra-thin form factor.
“Keyssa technology allowed the Aspire Switch 12 S to maintain a reliable, high-speed connection between the device and keyboard dock without using any mechanical connectors or pogo pins,” said Jerry Kao, president of IT Products Business Group, Acer Inc. “The technology helped us to keep the Aspire Switch 12 S as slim and sleek as it is now, without sacrificing on performance and power.”
With Kiss Connectivity, Keyssa has unleashed a new era that will change the way devices communicate and free engineers to design devices in entirely new ways. Kiss Connectors are tiny, low-power, solid-state connectors that can be embedded inside a product, and can securely move huge files between devices. Other benefits include:
• Design-friendly form factor
• Secure, point-to-point connection at extremely high frequency (EHF) without wires or metal connectors
• Protocol-agnostic, up to 6Gb/s high-speed data transfer supporting USB, DisplayPort and SATA standards
• Supports low speed applications allowing for the aggregation of multiple mechanical connectors into a single bi-directional connection
“With contactless Kiss Connectivity, the Aspire Switch 12 S is at the crest of a new wave of disruptive industrial design that will impact new products for decades to come,” said Eric Almgren, CEO of Keyssa. “Ever since the first commercially viable tablet hit the market, engineers and designers have striven to resolve the tug of war between the very sleek and the very fast. Acer and Kiss Connectivity have made winners of both sides.”
The Acer Aspire Switch 12 S is a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet with the following features:
• 12.5-inch IPS display, with a Full HD 1,920×1,080-pixel or 4K resolution
• 0.31-inches thick (7.85mm); 0.68-inches thick (17.3mm) with keyboard attached
• 1.76 pounds (800 grams); 3.09 pounds (1,400 grams) with keyboard attached
• 6th generation Intel Core M processor
• Starting at 4GB of RAM, up to 8GB
• Starting at 128GB of SSD storage, up to 256GB
• Keyssa USB SuperSpeed solid-state connection between display and keyboard
• Thunderbolt 3 port on USB-C, two USB 3.0 ports, microSD card reader and Micro HDMI
• 2×2 MU-MIMO 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
“As products get thinner and as data speed requirements get higher, traditional means of transferring data via mechanical connections, whether via connectors or pogo pins, are quickly revealing their limitations,” said David Pheteplace, Senior VP at Bishop & Associates. “We are therefore seeing huge potential for designs that move away from wires, cables and other traditional ways for devices to communicate at high speed.
Founded in 2009, Keyssa, Inc. developed its breakthrough Kiss Connectivity solution, based on a proprietary solid state connector that uses Extremely High Frequencies (EHF) to provide low-power, high-speed data transfer – securely and simply. With over 150 patent filings, Keyssa reinvented the connector. Managed by an experienced team of multidisciplinary technologists and standards experts, Keyssa’s investors include Alsop Louie, Dolby Family Ventures, Foxconn, SK hynix, Intel Capital, Nantworks, Neuberger Berman, and Samsung.
# # #
Copyright © 2016 Keyssa, Inc. All rights reserved. Keyssa and the Keyssa logo are trademarks of Keyssa in the United States and other countries. Other terms and names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Finn Partners for Keyssa
+1 415 348-2724
Keyssa Company Contact:
VP Strategic Solutions
+1 408 429-0591